24-inch snow blowers can be either gas-powered or electric. The type of engine determines what kind of features and capabilities the device has.
The best gas 24-inch snow blowers are manufactured by Husqvarna, PowerSmart, Briggs & Stratton, Champion. And among the electric models, there is only one battery-powered snow blower with such a wide clearing width — Snow Joe.
What Types of 24-Inch Snow Blowers Are There And How Do They Differ?
- Gas-powered. Most snow blowers with a clearing width of 24 inches are gas-powered machines equipped with internal combustion engines. These are heavy-duty but powerful machines that can operate in the most difficult conditions.
Neither wet snow nor even ice can become an obstacle to them. Generally, they are equipped with a two-stage cleaning system, in which the auger pulls snow in while the impeller crushes the snow and throws its away. This allows you to avoid spinning the auger too fast, reducing its wear and increasing the overall reliability and durability of the machine.
Of course, as it is the case with any gas-powered equipment, you should know how to properly handle such a snow blower. But in the hands of an experienced owner of a large plot of land, the machine will serve faithfully for years to come.
- Electric snow blowers are powered either from an electrical outlet or a battery. If you need an easy-to-operate and maneuverable machine for a small area, the battery-powered snow blower should be your choice. They are not so powerful but do not require any special skills to operate them.
What Is The Best 24-Inch Snow Blower?
1. Snow Joe iON8024-XRP 80-Volt iONMAX Cordless Two Stage Snow Blower Kit | 24-Inch
A cordless snow blower with a clearing width of 24 inches is a rare option, and even fewer are good ones. But this model is just one of those. This efficient unit runs on powerful 80-volt batteries with a capacity of 6Ah. This voltage will be enough to clear even the thickest snow up to 13 inches deep within 30-40 minutes. A two-stage cleaning system allows you to throw snow up to 32 feet away, while the chute has a 180-degree automatic rotation. It is capable of handling up to 1,000 pounds of snow per hour. High throughput is provided by a four-speed electric motor with a digital control system.
The snow blower comes with LED headlights, allowing you to work even during the hours of darkness. The set includes 2 removable batteries and a dual-port charger.
Snow Joe: Check the current price
2. PowerSmart DB7624E 24 in. 212cc 2-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower
Let’s look at PowerSmart DB7624E 24 in. Snow Blower that offers different speed options and a convenient control panel for more comfortable driving. The device has an electric start feature, which makes it easy to operate in the cold. The inflatable tires are 13 inches in size and are solid enough to deal with deep snow.
Clearing the snow from your backyard and adjacent roads is not an easy task, and this is where snow blowers come in handy! Their price largely depends on the features, size, and the power source — electric or gas-powered — so you should consider these things before buying your snow blower.
All these devices work by sucking up snow and then discharging it. However, two-stage models, unlike one-stage ones, include not only an auger but also an impeller which allows the operator to collect snow much faster. Also, snow blowers can be wheeled or have tracks. The former works better on even ground while the latter is designed to handle steep inclines.
PowerSmart: Check the current price
BATTLE: 24-Inch Battery Powered Snow Joe Vs Gas Briggs & Stratton
Gas snow blowers are manufactured by old and trusted producers: Husqvarna, PowerSmart, Briggs & Stratton, Champion, while electric ones are made by Snow Joe. We decided to find out which one will win a comparison battle: a cordless electric Snow Joe or gas-powered Briggs & Stratton.
Both units are very powerful and efficient, while most differences between them are the distinctive features typical of cordless electric and gas-powered models.
Both snow blowers are equipped with a metal auger and a two-stage cleaning system. Both are capable of handling even the thickest snow.
And yet, the Snow Joe battery-powered model can deal with 13-inch deep snowdrifts while the gas-powered one from Briggs & Stratton can clear up to 20 inches of snow. The Briggs & Stratton electric start system, which can operate at a temperature of minus 20°C, makes its launch as simple as that of the electric Snow Joe.
The gas snow blower is superior to its battery-powered competitor in terms of performance and autonomy. However, it is inferior in terms of maneuverability, noisier in operation and, unlike units with electric engines, emits exhaust pollutants.
If you are going to work in large areas located far from power outlets, Briggs & Stratton will be the best choice for you. While the battery-powered Snow Joe is more suitable for removing snow from a small area near the house.
10 Best-Selling 24-inch Snow Blowers Comparative Table
What To Choose If You Need A 24-Inch Snow Blower: Gas or Battery Operated?
Both gas-powered and cordless electric 24-inch snow blowers have their weak and strong points.
Pros of battery-operated 24-inch snow blowers:
- light weight: 30-40 pounds vs 100-180 pounds of the gas-powered analogs.
- high maneuverability and modest dimensions.
- usability: one battery charge is enough for about 30 minutes of operation, after which the battery can be replaced with a charged one and continue your work.
- noiseless operation without exhaust;
- easy maintenance.
Cons of battery-operated 24-inch snow blowers:
- relatively low power: wet snow and ice may become a problem for them.
- autonomy is limited by a battery capacity (and the number of batteries).
Pros of gas-powered 24-inch snow blowers:
- high performance: thick crust, ice, and wet snow are not a problem for them
- autonomy is limited only by the amount of gasoline in stock.
- high mobility, especially in self-propelled tracked models.
Cons of gas-powered 24-inch snow blowers:
- the large size and weight
- noisy operation with a large amount of exhaust
- effective operation requires certain skills
As a result, the choice between gas-powered and battery-powered snow blowers depends on whether you need a powerful machine for a large area or a compact unit for a moderate-sized plot of land.
How much does a 24-inch snow blower weigh?
A gas-powered snow blower with a 24-inch clearing width can weigh 40-80 kg (90-180 pounds). Battery-operated machines are more lightweight and generally weight about 15-20 kg (30-45 pounds).