A sprinkler is designed to facilitate work when watering lawns, flower gardens and gardens. It helps to water the soil effectively and regulate the volume of water. It will help save you money. And your lawn will not sink because of too much water. Today, we will talk about portable sprinkler models which have surpassed all the expectations of buyers. These are automatic moving tractor sprinklers, which resemble a tractor and move independently on any surface.
How does a traveling tractor sprinkler work?
The unit is attached to a rubber or reinforced hose. An irrigation installation similar to a tractor has two wheels at the rear and one at the front. On the rear wheels, there are thorns for movement on grass, sand or soil. The front wheel moves through the hose. Limiters prevent it from moving to the side, stopping any chaotic movement. Simply connect the watering hose to the hole in the tractor sprinkler and secure it with a clip. There is a sprinkler at the top which starts a stream of water in different directions. You can change the angle of the sprayer, thereby increasing or decreasing the watering distance. This figure ranges from 10 to 55 feet. Water is supplied from a water hose connected to the hole. Due to the drip irrigation, the soil absorbs moisture better. The sprinkler does not need additional equipment to move along the hose, is independent of electricity and can be located on any site. The water pressure drives it. Some models of tractor sprinkler suggest speed and head adjustment. At a lower speed, more water will enter the soil than with fast mode. You do not need to lay the hose evenly as the traveling tractor sprinklers can turn in the right direction. Also in the sets are special stops. When the unit driver over them, the sprinkler stops and does not go any further because the button located on the bottom is blocked. They can be fastened anywhere by simply inserting the hose into the holes on both sides. The distance that the sprinklers can reach is 200 feet. This is an impressive indicator!
Installation is not only useful, but also durable. As a rule, the sprinklers are made of metal. Quality models of cast iron will last more than 10 years. They are not susceptible to corrosion, are very stable, move along a given route and do not leave the place due to their impressive weight, are independent of wind and temperature changes.
When using the traveling sprinkler on slopes and elevations, the speed of the unit may vary, but mostly it depends on the water pressure. Gardeners do not recommend creating a route for the sprinkler with the hose intersection, so your setup may just get stuck and not move on. To ensure that the wheels do not get stuck in the wet soil, you need to locate grass or a wooden bar along the route. The wheels do not slip when moving on a hard surface. So, when driving on wet soil, the wheels will not get stuck in the dirt and won’t dig up the ground. They will remain clean and will last for many more years.
The best traveling sprinklers
Before buying, it is important to find out which tractor water sprinkler models are considered high-quality and convenient to operate. You can buy a tractor sprinkler, ranging from $19 to $ 2,400.
Nelson tractor sprinkler
Used mainly for lawns, there are three speeds for adjusting watering. It is made of cast iron covered with bright yellow paint, which can be seen from afar. White needle wheels are universal for different working conditions. Dimensions 9.2 x 1 x 20.2 inches, weight 17.3 pounds. The manufacturer's warranty is 2 years. For optimal performance, the Nelson traveling sprinkler needs a 5/8-inch hose 200 feet.
Orbit tractor sprinkler
Orbit tractor sprinkler Made of cast iron, painted with green paint and black needle wheels. Overall size 19 x 7 x 7 inches, weight 18.5 pounds. It has a rotary atomizer. Advantage in solid wheels without holes, so dirt and grass will not get stuck in the mechanism. Not inferior to the previous model.
John Deere traveling sprinkler
John Deere traveling sprinkler is popular among buyers. But, unfortunately, the release of the model at the moment is temporarily suspended. Attracts the bright design of the green body and the yellow wheels. It imitates a toy tractor with a motor compartment, wheels and an exhaust pipe. It’s a little shorter than the spray tube. Compact 10.5 x 21.4 x 11 inches, it really looks like a toy. Buyers who managed to purchase an unusual John Deere tractor sprinkler were satisfied.
What are the alternatives there?
Powerful model from the company A.M. Leonard RainCoach Self-Propelled Traveling Sprinkler. This is an expensive unit made of brass. It has rubber tires and plastic discs. Its spray reaches 110 - 145 feet wide and can pass 450 feet, which is two times more popular models. There is an automatic valve that closes the water supply when passing the full path. Weight is 56 pounds.
A more affordable alternative was the plastic model YeStar Lawn Sprinkler System with a wheeled base which makes it easy to move. Unlike previous models, it does not have needle wheels; they are simple plastic. The advantage is its versatility. This installation can water lawn, kitchen garden, cool the floors on the terrace and even the roof. It can water an area the width of 78.7 feet. The small size is 9.1 x 8.9 x 3 inches, and the lightweight is 1.91 pounds. Lack of self-relocation.
Pros & cons of tractor sprinklers
The traveling sprinkler has many advantages:
- It is independent of electricity. You do not need electricity to operate the unit. It drives only the head of water, which can be regulated independent of electricity. You do not need electricity to operate the unit. It controls only the water that can be adjusted.
- Reduces manual labor and replaces the stationary sprinkler. The system is capable of replacing 2-3 conventional sprayers. You do not need to rearrange it, because with the help of wheels, it moves in the given direction. You can set not only the straight position of the hose, but also the turns, which is very convenient. The traveling sprinkler will move in any direction, easily overcoming twists and turns.
- Ability to switch off automatically. Due to the presence of a stopper for the hose, the unit stops and stops feeding water. It is easy to attach and remove.
- Reusable. A long service life is guaranteed because cast iron models do not break, do not crack from the effects of ultraviolet rays and are not afraid of rain and wind. For winter, you can store the hose in the garage.
Like all equipment, the tractor sprinkler has minor drawbacks:
- Difficult repair. Inside there are plastic gears which can break. It is difficult to find individual original spare parts, so if you fail, you may need to buy another traveling water sprinkler.
- Stopping transport in wet soil. If there is wet ground with a lot of water, the wheels will stick to the dirt and will stop moving. Therefore, when using it, it is prudent to lay grass or hard strips under the route.
Let's summarize and analyze the popular sprinklers.
When buying a travel sprinkler, please consider our review, select the dimensions and take a closer look at the best models that have proven themselves in the customers' environments. Read the reviews and make your choice. We wish you successful purchases!